Saturday, August 26, 2006

 

Airport security update

Just finished up two days of travel and had a pretty easy time with security.

The trip was a series of three one-way tickets, which made for an interesting experiment. Would I be automatically flagged for extra security, or would I skate through without raising any eyebrows?

Friday
Flight One -- 6 a.m. Jet Blue flight from Boston (Logan) to New York (JFK).

I arrived at Terminal C via Logan Express -- definitely the way to go -- at 4:30 a.m. and checked in at the kiosk. Jet Blue's kiosk is very straightforward and issued boarding pass. I looked down at it and was pleasantly surpised to see that I hadn't been selected for extra screening. (If you're selected for extra screening, you'll see an SSSSS on your boarding pass). I figured I could get toothpaste and shaving cream at my destination, so I was travelling with just a carry-on and a briefcase. And the security checkpoint was a breeze. Stood in line for about five minutes and just had to take the shoes off and the computer out.

The scene beyond the checkpoint was comical. Loads of grown men and women gulping down their coffees because they're not allowed onboard. Just too funny. And to a certain degree, pretty sad. The question that needs to be anwered is if the drinks and liquids sold beyond the security checkpoint pose a security risk to the airplane, then don't they pose a security risk to the airport?

Flight 2
1:49 p.m. ATA flight from New York (LGA) to Chicago (MDW)
Arrived at the airport at 12:50 p.m. and tried to check in at the kiosk, but the ATA machine wouldn't accept my Southwest confirmation code (flight was a code-share) so I had to check in with a ticket agent. And sure enough, my boarding pass had the dreaded SSSSS. I stood in line for about two minutes and went through the extra screening without a problem. The TSA staff was quick and professional, and I made it to the gate with plenty of time to spare. But about 10 minutes before boarding started, ATA announced that there would be secondary screening for each passenger before boarding the aircraft. Four TSA officials set up a series of tables at the gate, and each passenger had to open their bag to show that no liquids or gels were being brought aboard the aircraft. Once again, the TSA officials were very efficient and boarding went smoothly. And they gave people who had undergone extra security a break by barely looking in those bags.

Saturday
Flight 3 4:20 p.m. Southwest (MDW) to Providence (PVD)
The kiosk worked for me this time and I landed another clean boarding pass. There was no line at security, but the TSA x-ray screener couldn't identify a convention tchotsky I'd picked up, so I had to undergo additional screening again. Once again, the TSA staff was very quick and I made it to the gate well in advance of my boarding time.

Conclusion
So does checking in online or via a kiosk decreased your chances for being hit for extra screening? I think so. And it's not just based on this last trip. In my experience -- and I fly regularly -- I rarely get extra screening while checking in electronically. And I always get extra screening if I check in with an agent.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?